Old 11-06-2003, 09:44 AM
jane

Default Marshalls' experimental tomatoes

HI folk

I emailed Marshalls a few days ago about their current experimental
tomato Ruby as I've got three of them growing but have lost the
growing instructions! I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
determinate or indeterminate. There has been a deafening silence in
return (these folk really need some web-savvy staff), and I could do
with knowing the answer!

Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?

thanks!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 11-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"jane" wrote in message
I emailed Marshalls a few days ago about their current experimental
tomato Ruby as I've got three of them growing but have lost the
growing instructions! I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
determinate or indeterminate. There has been a deafening silence in
return (these folk really need some web-savvy staff), and I could do
with knowing the answer!

Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?

I was but they came up so naff I binned them all. Had too many good plants
of other varieties anyway.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Alan Gould

In article , jane
monmapson.co.uk writes
HI folk

I emailed Marshalls a few days ago about their current experimental
tomato Ruby as I've got three of them growing but have lost the
growing instructions! I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
determinate or indeterminate. There has been a deafening silence in
return (these folk really need some web-savvy staff), and I could do
with knowing the answer!

Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?

Just raise them the same way as you do other tomatoes - if they are
worthwhile stock they will respond to good care.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
determinate or indeterminate.
Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?

Just raise them the same way as you do other tomatoes - if they are
worthwhile stock they will respond to good care.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

One does not look after determinates the same way as one looks after
indeterminates...........HW.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
jane

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:36:23 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

~In article , jane
~monmapson.co.uk writes
~HI folk
~
~I emailed Marshalls a few days ago about their current experimental
~tomato Ruby as I've got three of them growing but have lost the
~growing instructions! I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
~determinate or indeterminate. There has been a deafening silence in
~return (these folk really need some web-savvy staff), and I could do
~with knowing the answer!
~
~Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?
~
~Just raise them the same way as you do other tomatoes - if they are
~worthwhile stock they will respond to good care.

My previous tomato eperience has been outdoor hanging basket ones! Which is
why I was wondering if these were indoor or outdoor ones. I reckon they are
going to be outdoor whether they like it or not as I've no room indoors
unless they want to be smothered by an out of control butternut squash!
Just not sure about the sideshoots...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 12-06-2003, 01:08 AM
pronoun

Hi Jane,

I was given a free pack of 'experimental'. There was no name given, and
they were said to be of the bush type. I gave them away.

H Fear

Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Alan Gould

In article e%LFa.1066$YZ2.645@rwcrnsc53, Anne Middleton/Harold Walker
writes

One does not look after determinates the same way as one looks after
indeterminates...........HW.

Could you explain the different methods please?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Ophelia

"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message

I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
determinate or indeterminate.
Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?

Just raise them the same way as you do other tomatoes - if they are
worthwhile stock they will respond to good care.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

One does not look after determinates the same way as one looks after
indeterminates...........HW.

Please will someone explain what this mean?

Ophelia

Old 12-06-2003, 07:20 AM
jane

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:13:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

~
~"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message
~news:e%LFa.1066$YZ2.645@rwcrnsc53...
~
~ I wanted to know if it was indoor, outdoor,
~ determinate or indeterminate.
~ Anyone here growing it who can tell me the answers please?
~
~ Just raise them the same way as you do other tomatoes - if they are
~ worthwhile stock they will respond to good care.
~ --
~ Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
~
~ One does not look after determinates the same way as one looks after
~ indeterminates...........HW.
~
~Please will someone explain what this mean?
~
~Ophelia

Determinate (and semi-determinate) are tomatoes which grow happily without
being staked or having the sideshoots removed. These usually are outdoor
tomatoes or the hanging basket types I like to grow (cos I don't have room
anywhere else!!!) The number of flowering trusses is self-limiting to some
extent.

Indeterminate are the typical greenhouse tomatoes which are staked or
trained to string, and which need the sideshoots taking out regularly. The
ones mentioned on GW last week when talking about different training
methods would have been indeterminate.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Jonathan Ward
writes

Does bush mean determinate?

According to the glossary in RHS Enc. of Gardening:

Determinate.
1) Used of inflorescences where the central or terminal flower opens
first so that the main axis cannot extend further. (Cf Cyme)
2) Used of bushy or dwarf tomatoes (Cf.indeterminate; semi-determinate)

Indeterminate.
1) Used of an inflorescence not terminated by a single flower, in which
the primary axis (stem) continues to develop as the flowers open (e.g. a
raceme as in delphiniums.
2) Used of tall or cordon tomatoes, which, in a suitable climate can
grow to an indefinite length (Cf. determinate; semi-determinate)

From that, my simple mind tell me that indeterminate tomatoes are ones
which do not have their side-shoots or top stem removed (i.e. they are
bush grown; semi-determinates have side-shoots but not top stem removed
(i.e.cordons); determinates have both side-shoots and top stem removed
(which is how I grow our tomatoes indoors). I stand to be better
informed however, if anyone knows.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 13-06-2003, 07:20 AM
pronoun

My practical understanding of 'bush': Maintenance free--no need to remove
healthy leaves.

H Fear

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Hi Jane,

I was given a free pack of 'experimental'. There was no name given, and
they were said to be of the bush type. I gave them away.

H Fear

Does bush mean determinate?
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Old 15-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:50:50 +0000, jane wrote:

I emailed Marshalls a few days ago about their current experimental
tomato Ruby as I've got three of them growing but have lost the

why I was wondering if these were indoor or outdoor ones. I reckon they are
going to be outdoor whether they like it or not as I've no room indoors
unless they want to be smothered by an out of control butternut squash!

Well, my Marshall's experimental tomatoe's are outside and seem to be OK
compared to the crop of Marshalls Roma (or is that Roma improved - plum
tomatoes at any rate!) sown at the same time.

I don't think my Marshalls experimental seeds actually had a name or much
in the way of instructions, but I'm growing mine as cordons outside with
all my other tomatoes.

If I remember I'll fish the packet of seeds out of the shed tomorrow and
let you know!

Sarah
Old 15-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Pam Moore

I have 3 plants of the Marshalls Experimental variety. Not knowing
how to treat them I have pinched out one and will leave the other two.
They are good, healthy looking plants but time will tell.

Pam in Bristol