Old 13-06-2003, 12:08 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Large Beech collecting

Our club has been offered the opportunity to collect a 42 year old
Purple Beech Hedge before a road widening scheme goes ahead. I met with
the groundsman who originally planted them today. He was delighted that
they could possibly be rescued. Unfortunately this is going to happen in
the next few weeks, the height of summer here and it is getting
relatively warm and sunny.

There will be a JCB (digger), many club members and a car trailer
available to make collection of relatively large rootballs easy.

I'm wondering how I can increase chances of survival apart from the
usual reduction of tops, watering 'em in well and keeping part
shaded/sheltered.

Anyone have experience of collecting Fagus sylvatica especially Purpurea
out of season?

Thanks

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales