Old 13-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Zizz

Default Clematis drive me crazy

"Janice" wrote in message
Once again my clematis have keeled over with wilt. They really are the

most
exasperating plants; they're like delicate Victorian ladies fainting at

the
merest suggestion of something unpleasant. Every year I vow to dig 'em

all
up, chuck them in the bin and replace them with something less pernickety.

Everything started off grandly - my Etoile Viollette put out a flower or
two, and Dr Ruppell, Nelly Moser and Josephine were looking ever so

pretty,
but overnight Josephine and Etiole Violette were overcome and are now

lying
down, limp and prostrate.

Other than the montana types, are there any clematis that are strong and
robust?

I'm wondering if the ones that were bought were the 4ftish size as my mums
had problems with wilt on those size clematis .... maybe they weren't kept
well at the nursery?
Most (all but three) of my clematis were only 4 inches tall when bought and
all of that size are doing fine!