Old 13-06-2003, 03:20 AM
ecologicals

Default Four-square garden design

"Dutchman" wrote in message
I've done a little research and understand the history and basics of a

four-square garden. I'm in
the process of transforming an area of my backyard into a garden. I like

the concept of the
four-square design and will be using raised beds due to my soil

conditions. I'm trying to get a
better visualization of the garden and am looking for any design ideas.

I've picked up a book on
kitchen gardens and though it referenced the four-square design, it didn't

give me anything with
which to better visualize the layout, size and scope of the garden. Does

anyone have experience
with this sort of design or can point me to some pictures or layouts?

Many Thanks
Dutch

Good question, actually.
The background is he
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitch...n/simpson.html
for anyone interested. As to a virtual 3d layout, sorry. Best bet is drawing
paper (1/4" blocks) ruler and pencil. We do a fair number of Edibles garden
designs but each space is different so there are few useful "rules" other
than the normal stuff; slope if any, east/south/west solar path, prevailing
wind, any trees that may shade too much, etc.
Gardening is learning!

--
John H. Immink

www.renaissancegardens.com/