Old 13-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default Rust on Chives and Ornamental Allium

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:06:38 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Hi, Colin. I've done Google searches and it seems that there's no cure or
prevention for the rust, and many of the sites (Californian) say to destroy
the crop.

Yes, that seems to be the view and I agree with your suggestion of the
causes. I've also seen people recommend that:

a) Garlic needs to be watered regularly if there's a hot dry spell

b) You should water in the morning, so that any splashes on the
leaves can dry off. Doing it at night could cause lingering dampness,
giving any fungal infections like Rust a better chance to get
established.

In the meantime, the rust has been on mine so long that if it was
going to spread to anything else, it would already have done so. I
can't bear throwing away what I've got, so I'm going to leave it a few
more weeks till the point I would have picked it, then see what I've
got.

Unlike you, I don't need the worst affected parts (ie. the leaves)

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)