Old 13-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default What's that growing in my compost?

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message ...
Hard to tell seeing as the plant is distorted due to like of sun,etc but it
looks like a potato plant to me.
Have you been putting potato peelings in the bin?
Maybe someone else has a better ID.

Looks like a potato to me, too; though just maybe a tomato? But the
multi-stems suggest potato most. Why not dig it up and see if there's
a rotting piece of potato skin there? I wonder if it would already
have pinhead-size embryo potatoes on it: that would clinch the ID.

They can pick up very small amounts of light: I keep potatoes in a
cardboard box in a cupboard, and they'll still get green patches if I
leave them too long. Your bin probably lets some faint cracks of light
in round the lid. "Opaque" plastic is sometimes very slightly
translucent, too.

Could the other mystery plant be an avocado? The leaves do look very
like that, if I remember correctly, and they'll come up on very little
nourishment. The remains of the seed could still be down there on or
just below the surface. Sweet chestnut leaves are very similar, too,
and have noticeable saw-tooth edges.

Mike.