Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Allan Carhart

Default What's that growing in my compost?

I almost named this post "Little shop of horrors" :-)

I have a compost going in my backyard, where I seem to have plants
spontaneously growing.

I am an amateur at composting, but I am doing what I've read.
I do put water on it, turn it with a hoe, and on cold
days I could definitely see steam rising from it.

What seems out of the ordinary is a pretty lively plant, maybe a weed,
growing from inside the compost. This thing is huge!!

Rather than trying to post any photos on this group,
I went ahead and made a little website with photos of the mystery plant.

If you think you can help me identify it, please check out this URL:
http://www.carhart.com/allan/plant/

Please let me know what you think.

Allan Carhart
a l l a n . nospam @ carhart.com
Am I to understand there will be no side dishes with our frozen waffles?

Old 13-06-2003, 11:44 AM
samuel l crowe

Hard to tell seeing as the plant is distorted due to like of sun,etc but it
looks like a potato plant to me.
Have you been putting potato peelings in the bin?
Maybe someone else has a better ID.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Old 13-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Allan Carhart said:

What seems out of the ordinary is a pretty lively plant, maybe a weed,
growing from inside the compost. This thing is huge!!

If you think you can help me identify it, please check out this URL:
http://www.carhart.com/allan/plant/

Please let me know what you think.

I'd say a potato is most likely.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Allview

My compost pile is passive and it seems like every year I have something good
growing in it. One year it was acorn squash, one year potato, this year I have
a nice tomato plant.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 13-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Penny Morgan

It's a very spindly potato plant that is reaching for light. It's very
common for potatoes to sprout and grow in your compost pile. I used to get
squash, tomatoes, potatoes and cantaloupe plants creeping up the corners or
trying to make it out the cracks. Many times, I would transplant the plants
and get some free veggies. The kids and I used to get gourds and pumpkins
every spring after throwing leftovers from Halloween in the compost. I had
the same bin you have, plus two round bins. I moved last September to a new
home and haven't set up my round bin here yet. My husband has been throwing
huge amounts of old flowers in a pile for me on the back of our property, so
I do have a pile started. I just haven't been adding my household scraps
like I used to in my old bins. Too many other projects first. I own and
operate a residential flower design and planting service, so I remove all
their old flowers and bring them home in bags. Luckily, I have 1.5 acres of
land to work with now.

We're working on clearing some of the property to create gardens in the back
and to possibly put in an inground pool. I was desperate for fresh veggies,
so I used a small area off the back of my screened in porch that had some
ditch lilies growing. They had the whole area mulched but it was weedy, so
I planted some Celebrity, Better Boy, Grape and Yellow Pear tomatoes; some
Cayenne, Jalapeno, and Green Peppers; Green Pole Beans and Straight Eight
Cucumbers. The pole beans and cucumbers will grow up a trellis along the
edge of the porch and I'm also trellising the other side of the porch for
the grape and yellow tomatoes (they get very long and viney). I also
planted a rosemary bush by the back steps and put lemon thyme, lemon grass,
Greek oregano, chocolate mint, and dill in large pots on the back deck. I
am growing about 50 Genovese Sweet Basil plants in a window box that I am
going to pot up today and give some to friends. The rest will go in a very
large pot for me. I've been pinching the tops to make them fuller and using
it in fresh chopped tomatoes, olive oil, black olives, garlic, chianti red
vinegar and feta cheese (what a delicious dish served over cous cous).

Ironically, my husband just called me a few minutes ago from the San Jose
Airport. He's been in Sunnyvale since Monday in business meetings. He
works for Network Appliance and is heading out this morning on a 6:20 am
flight back here to Raleigh, NC. He says it's been very cool and breezy
there; I wish that were the case here. It's been 90 and very humid with
code orange ozone warnings (breathing is difficult for asthmatic people).
Today is a little better with a cold front moving in creating thunderboomers
and a few hit and miss showers. Won't stop me though; I've got basil and
flowers to repot today on the back porch.

Sorry this is so longwinded - must be missing some adult conversation. I
pity my poor husband when he gets home tonight! Good luck with your
volunteer plants and composting. Have fun.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 13-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Pam

Didya compost any of last season's tomatoes? Sure looks like a tomato plant
to me, allbeit a rather sickly one. Have no clue what the other is, although
it looks a little tree-like, perhaps a walnut or hickory, pecan or other
Carya species?

pam - gardengal

Old 13-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Mike Lyle

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message ...
Hard to tell seeing as the plant is distorted due to like of sun,etc but it
looks like a potato plant to me.
Have you been putting potato peelings in the bin?
Maybe someone else has a better ID.

Looks like a potato to me, too; though just maybe a tomato? But the
multi-stems suggest potato most. Why not dig it up and see if there's
a rotting piece of potato skin there? I wonder if it would already
have pinhead-size embryo potatoes on it: that would clinch the ID.

They can pick up very small amounts of light: I keep potatoes in a
cardboard box in a cupboard, and they'll still get green patches if I
leave them too long. Your bin probably lets some faint cracks of light
in round the lid. "Opaque" plastic is sometimes very slightly
translucent, too.

Could the other mystery plant be an avocado? The leaves do look very
like that, if I remember correctly, and they'll come up on very little
nourishment. The remains of the seed could still be down there on or
just below the surface. Sweet chestnut leaves are very similar, too,
and have noticeable saw-tooth edges.

Mike.
Old 13-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Allan Carhart wrote:

I almost named this post "Little shop of horrors" :-)

I have a compost going in my backyard, where I seem to have plants
spontaneously growing.

I am an amateur at composting, but I am doing what I've read.
I do put water on it, turn it with a hoe, and on cold
days I could definitely see steam rising from it.

What seems out of the ordinary is a pretty lively plant, maybe a weed,
growing from inside the compost. This thing is huge!!

Rather than trying to post any photos on this group,
I went ahead and made a little website with photos of the mystery plant.

If you think you can help me identify it, please check out this URL:
http://www.carhart.com/allan/plant/

Please let me know what you think.

Tomato. Give it more sun, and enjoy.
Old 13-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Valkyrie

That is definitely a potato growing up from the inside, probably tossed a
peeling in that had an "eye". The plant on the outside is most likely either
a walnut or chestnut, I'd find them growing in my garden all the time, the
squirrels bury it and forget where. Or you dropped on as you were dumping
things into your box and then mashed it into the ground enough to get the
thing sprouting. If you yank it out you'll probably find whatever nut it is
still attached to the roots.

Val

Old 15-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Trevise

"Allan Carhart" wrote in message
I almost named this post "Little shop of horrors" :-)

I have a compost going in my backyard, where I seem to have plants
spontaneously growing.

I am an amateur at composting, but I am doing what I've read.
I do put water on it, turn it with a hoe, and on cold
days I could definitely see steam rising from it.

What seems out of the ordinary is a pretty lively plant, maybe a weed,
growing from inside the compost. This thing is huge!!

Rather than trying to post any photos on this group,
I went ahead and made a little website with photos of the mystery plant.

If you think you can help me identify it, please check out this URL:
http://www.carhart.com/allan/plant/

Please let me know what you think.

Allan Carhart

Umm...potato, but why do you keep your compost bin by a door? Might be
better away from any buildings - bugs, smell, and so on...