Old 13-06-2003, 04:44 PM
jc

Default Four-square garden design

"Dutchman" wrote in message
... I like the idea of raised beds because of soil conditions on my

property
and the ability to grow things in a more compact area. I also very

much like the aesthetics, the
historical flavor and the nostalgia, if you will, of the classic

kitchen garden. I fear if I try to
use raised beds, in the mold of square-foot gardening approach, I will

lose that and my garden will
resemble a lot of sandboxes (that what some raised beds look like to

me). ...

Most "Square Foot Gardens" are in raised beds but it isn't really
necessary and may be a disadvantage in regions with hot dry summer
breezes that would cause the raised beds to dry out too fast. You can
lay out a square foot garden bed without raising it. An arrangement of
ground-level sqft beds can be attractive. -Olin