Old 13-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Valkyrie

Default What's that growing in my compost?

That is definitely a potato growing up from the inside, probably tossed a
peeling in that had an "eye". The plant on the outside is most likely either
a walnut or chestnut, I'd find them growing in my garden all the time, the
squirrels bury it and forget where. Or you dropped on as you were dumping
things into your box and then mashed it into the ground enough to get the
thing sprouting. If you yank it out you'll probably find whatever nut it is
still attached to the roots.

Val

"Allan Carhart" wrote in message
I almost named this post "Little shop of horrors" :-)

I have a compost going in my backyard, where I seem to have plants
spontaneously growing.

I am an amateur at composting, but I am doing what I've read.
I do put water on it, turn it with a hoe, and on cold
days I could definitely see steam rising from it.

What seems out of the ordinary is a pretty lively plant, maybe a weed,
growing from inside the compost. This thing is huge!!

Rather than trying to post any photos on this group,
I went ahead and made a little website with photos of the mystery plant.

If you think you can help me identify it, please check out this URL:
http://www.carhart.com/allan/plant/

Please let me know what you think.

Allan Carhart
a l l a n . nospam @ carhart.com
Am I to understand there will be no side dishes with our frozen waffles?