Old 13-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Bill

Default Four-square garden design

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:13:36 -0400, "Dutchman"
wrote:

I've done a little research and understand the history and basics of a four-square garden. I'm in
the process of transforming an area of my backyard into a garden. I like the concept of the
four-square design and will be using raised beds due to my soil conditions. I'm trying to get a
better visualization of the garden and am looking for any design ideas. I've picked up a book on
kitchen gardens and though it referenced the four-square design, it didn't give me anything with
which to better visualize the layout, size and scope of the garden. Does anyone have experience
with this sort of design or can point me to some pictures or layouts?

Have you seen
http://www.squarefootgardening.com ? If not,
I think you'll find it interesting.

The site has several photos of square-foot gardens which
could certainly be arranged in a 4-square pattern.

Pat

I looked at the site and saw the part about growing squash vertically.
Then I looked out my window and admired my single spaghetti squash
it's a volunteer from last year, I hadn't planned on growing spaghetti
squash this year plant that's grown to 25 feet across and 6 feet up
the reinforcing wire I usually use for tomato cages and smiled. Some
veggies qualify for "many square foot" gardening. It's got 22 squash
on it and still blooming and growing .

OTOH, I'm growing a "bush" cucumber in a 18" pot that's only 2 feet
across and 1.5 feet high with about 6 cukes on it. There were 7 but we
made cucumber and onion salad with one, flavor is on the mild side and
I'll definately be growing more of them next year. Elephant garlic is
doing well in another 18" inch pot. "Patio" tomato in another 18" pot,
18" across and about 2 feet tall with about 2 doz. green tomatos on it.
Can't wait to see what they taste like.

Bill