Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Lilies & Koi problem solved

Wendy, that's a very good solution! If started early enough in the year, the
leaves will grow right through without having to pull established
stems/leaves through. Very good idea . . .

Lee

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
Hi All,
At least, for the last 3 weeks, I have the problem solved. Seems like no
matter what I try, those koi get the lilies! My koi are about 6 years

old
and getting a bit big. About 2 years ago they discovered that Tropical
lilies taste very good. I have tried 3 types of netting around each lily,
suspended with cork or Styrofoam to keep the fish out, but eventually they
figure out how to swim right over the top and into the lily. I needed a
harder wall around the lilies, but what? I noticed I have all these milk
crates laying around. I had converted all my lilies to pvc shelves when

the
koi got too big to use the milk crates as hiding places. On a whim, I
pulled off the netting to one of the lilies, turned the milk crate open

side
up and place it right on top of the lily. Carefully pulling the lily's
leaves through the 'bottom' of the milk crate, add a few rocks to weigh

down
the milk crate and Wella! The koi can't get inside!!! The milk crate
comes about 1" below the surface of the water and once the lilies actually
start to GROW for a change, you can't see the black milk crates at all!

One
draw back is when it's time to feed the lilies, you have to pick up the

milk
crate just enough to get your hand inside to shove in the fertilizer. But

now have a Wood's White Knight that is growing for the first time in 3
years!! The WWK that I bought last year and the year before got eaten
within 2 days, even with netting around it.

I hope I didn't jabber on and on, I just wanted to share my discovery and
hope it helps someone!

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make
mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so
experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that
precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi