Old 13-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Default Lilies & Koi problem solved

Hi All,
At least, for the last 3 weeks, I have the problem solved. Seems like no
matter what I try, those koi get the lilies! My koi are about 6 years old
and getting a bit big. About 2 years ago they discovered that Tropical
lilies taste very good. I have tried 3 types of netting around each lily,
suspended with cork or Styrofoam to keep the fish out, but eventually they
figure out how to swim right over the top and into the lily. I needed a
harder wall around the lilies, but what? I noticed I have all these milk
crates laying around. I had converted all my lilies to pvc shelves when the
koi got too big to use the milk crates as hiding places. On a whim, I
pulled off the netting to one of the lilies, turned the milk crate open side
up and place it right on top of the lily. Carefully pulling the lily's
leaves through the 'bottom' of the milk crate, add a few rocks to weigh down
the milk crate and Wella! The koi can't get inside!!! The milk crate
comes about 1" below the surface of the water and once the lilies actually
start to GROW for a change, you can't see the black milk crates at all! One
draw back is when it's time to feed the lilies, you have to pick up the milk
crate just enough to get your hand inside to shove in the fertilizer. But I
now have a Wood's White Knight that is growing for the first time in 3
years!! The WWK that I bought last year and the year before got eaten
within 2 days, even with netting around it.

I hope I didn't jabber on and on, I just wanted to share my discovery and
hope it helps someone!

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make
mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so
experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that
precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi

Old 13-06-2003, 07:54 PM
zookeeper

Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
Hi All,
At least, for the last 3 weeks, I have the problem solved. Seems like no
matter what I try, those koi get the lilies! ... On a whim, I
pulled off the netting to one of the lilies, turned the milk crate open side
up and place it right on top of the lily. Carefully pulling the lily's
leaves through the 'bottom' of the milk crate, add a few rocks to weigh down
the milk crate and Wella! The koi can't get inside!!! The milk crate
comes about 1" below the surface of the water and once the lilies actually
start to GROW for a change, you can't see the black milk crates at all! ...

Wendy, thanks for sharing this! I was just getting ready to wrap all my
lily pots in bird netting to try to keep the koi from playing water lily
tuber keepaway! I'll look for black crates when I'm shopping this
weekend -- can't wait to try this.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs (10" to 34")

Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Wendy, that's a very good solution! If started early enough in the year, the
leaves will grow right through without having to pull established
stems/leaves through. Very good idea . . .

Lee

Old 14-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Jerrispond

The milk crate
comes about 1" below the surface of the water and once the lilies actually
start to GROW for a change, you can't see the black milk crates at all! ...

When the koi get bigger than the milk crates they will move them around at
will....it is like a ball game in my pond they move whatever they like at will
Jerri

Old 14-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Congrats, Wendy!

I won't tell my koi that they can eat my lillies.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 14-06-2003, 12:32 AM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Congrats, Wendy!

I won't tell my koi that they can eat my lillies.

Jim

Jim

-- maybe we can train them to do the pruning of the old leaves and buds
and leave the new stuff alone

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 14-06-2003, 03:44 AM
zookeeper

John Rutz wrote:

-- maybe we can train them to do the pruning of the old leaves and buds
and leave the new stuff alone

Not in my pond! They are always knocking off new shoots and buds. It's
only after the water warms sufficiently that the lilies can stay ahead
of the maraudering carp.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper

Old 14-06-2003, 06:31 AM
AZKalEl

We won't ask you where you "Got Milk?" crates from, but I bet from now
on Circle K employees will be scouring our ponds!

(OK that was really bad...)

Kal El
Old 16-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Jim,
Your koi don't root around in the lily containers? Now I know you & Phyllis
have large koi also. Why do you think your koi don't bother the lilies?
I'm sure I remember yous having tropical lilies?

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand." -
Confucius

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...

Old 16-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Two of my koi are larger than the crates. I suppose I will be putting
zipties on two sides of the crates to hold them in place until the lilies
get large enough.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take
an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and
depart. " Socrates

Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote:

Jim,
Your koi don't root around in the lily containers? Now I know you & Phyllis
have large koi also. Why do you think your koi don't bother the lilies?
I'm sure I remember yous having tropical lilies?

Using pieces of slate arranged around the lily can help quite a bit.

jay
Mon, Jun 16, 2003

--

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
[...]

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

World books - problem solved Nick Williamson United Kingdom 0 17-11-2003 01:03 PM
Problem solved! Claude Orchids 2 14-10-2003 10:12 PM
Problem solved! Claude Orchids 0 10-09-2003 02:14 AM
blueberry weak-green color problem solved Phisherman Gardening 5 18-07-2003 01:34 AM
[IBC] Ficus religiosa: problem solved Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:44 PM