Old 13-06-2003, 10:44 PM
jane

Default Raspberry Beetle

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:40:05 +0100, "brimon"
wrote:

~Hi
~
~Last year my crop of late fruiting raspberries were almost ruined by a
~miserable little whitish yellow grub getting into the fruit.
~I believe the pest is Raspberry Beetle and that you should spray around
~fruiting time to prevent.
~The canes were a gift some time ago, they grow well, and the fruit is
~delicious - IMHO better than the more popular earlier varieties.
~I think they are Autumn Bliss but they are 'lost label'.
~Could you please advise what to spray with and when and possibly how to
~prevent.

Derris (rotenone) is a recommended spray or powder for raspberry beetle.
It's sort-of organic, as it can be used 'as a last resort' for several
things eg flea beetle, but the official HDRA organic solution is to remove
mulches and rake the ground around canes after fruiting in the autumn so
the birds can get in and eat the overwintering adult beetles. Also to
introduce chickens! In bad cases, cut canes to ground so there will be no
fruit and therefore no adults, but of course you lose a crop.

The non-organic option (RHS fruit and veg gardening) is bifenthrin spray.

Both control sprays should be applied at dusk when the fruits just show
some pink, in order to minimise damage to beneficial pollinating insects.

~I know you are all very helpful folk and look forward to some expert advice
~and more mouthwatering fruit.

Good luck. I'll be out there with my derris soon...

--
jane

Mark Twain