Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Mike

Default Attention Mike: How to pronounce (French and some German) Rose Names

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Radika Kesavan wrote:
Mike, I decided to post this as a separate thread rather than bury it as
yet another reply in the "Phonetics" thread. I just got this
information from a good friend who is a truly gifted and talented
Rosarian, asking me to pass this on to you and to others at RGR.

My friend made me aware of a very useful book in this context since
being made aware of the request in RGR for a guide to phonetic
pronunciation of rose names. The friend writes to me, asking me to pass
on the informations to RGR the following: "The book exists! Actually, I
have an autographed copy of it. Diana Bellucci has written something
titled (approximately) A Guide to Pronunciation of French Rose Names.
She also threw in some German names. She doesn't have a web site, and I
can see why. This is an esoteric subject and she would like to sell as
many books as she can! It isn't expensive, around $14. It's quite
complete and very well done. Completely phonetic. Very usable. She
can be googled and the links are mostly to booksellers. It's a book
whose time has come!" I am very grateful to my friend for making me
aware of this resource, teaching me not to simply shrug and give up on
the idea of pronouncing anything phonetically in English, let alone rose
names.

So, anyway, as a follow-up, I looked up Ms. Bellucci and found that our
own Jocelen of Rosa Rosam who posts here every now and then has also
mentioned the same book in his website also! Anyway, here are a couple
of links to information on the book sand the author that might be of
some considerable interest to you and the rest of us:

http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

--
Radika
California

Ahhhhh! See why we ask questions, class?

This is all very helpful, thank you. I had faith there would be some
relevant reference available. I'll definitely look for Ms. Bellucci's
book. Can't have too many rose books and $14.00 is a deal!

Thanks again,

Mike