Old 13-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Attention Mike: How to pronounce (French and some German) Rose Names

Mike, I decided to post this as a separate thread rather than bury it as
yet another reply in the "Phonetics" thread. I just got this
information from a good friend who is a truly gifted and talented
Rosarian, asking me to pass this on to you and to others at RGR.

My friend made me aware of a very useful book in this context since
being made aware of the request in RGR for a guide to phonetic
pronunciation of rose names. The friend writes to me, asking me to pass
on the informations to RGR the following: "The book exists! Actually, I
have an autographed copy of it. Diana Bellucci has written something
titled (approximately) A Guide to Pronunciation of French Rose Names.
She also threw in some German names. She doesn't have a web site, and I
can see why. This is an esoteric subject and she would like to sell as
many books as she can! It isn't expensive, around $14. It's quite
complete and very well done. Completely phonetic. Very usable. She
can be googled and the links are mostly to booksellers. It's a book
whose time has come!" I am very grateful to my friend for making me
aware of this resource, teaching me not to simply shrug and give up on
the idea of pronouncing anything phonetically in English, let alone rose
names.

So, anyway, as a follow-up, I looked up Ms. Bellucci and found that our
own Jocelen of Rosa Rosam who posts here every now and then has also
mentioned the same book in his website also! Anyway, here are a couple
of links to information on the book sand the author that might be of
some considerable interest to you and the rest of us:

http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

--
Radika
California

Old 13-06-2003, 07:56 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:37:10 -0700, Radika Kesavan
wrote:

[...]

And since we've been talking about Trier lately, I wanted to point out
that, although most Americans seem to pronounce the name tree-AIR, the
actual pronunciation is something like Tree-ur, with only a little
more emphasis on the first syllable (but not much).

Of course, the branch of my fanily has always mispronounced our last
name (I'm a wheel, not a while or vile if you want to be exact).

Well, some might think I'm vile g...
Old 13-06-2003, 09:08 PM
dave weil

wrote:

... http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

And since we've been talking about Trier lately, I wanted to point
out that, although most Americans seem to pronounce the name
tree-AIR, the actual pronunciation is something like Tree-ur, with
only a little more emphasis on the first syllable (but not much).

And here I thought it was pronounced "tri-ayeh" or something!

I forgot to mention the slight trill on the first r.

Of course, the branch of my fanily has always mispronounced our last
name (I'm a wheel, not a while or vile if you want to be exact).

As in Kurt Weill. Or do I have this wrong too.

Nope, that's correct. Vile it is.

Well, some might think I'm vile g...

You know that I don't, I am sure of this.

And here is a little OT 'secret' - Mack is the one male friend who is
absolutely unafraid of his feminine side; the only person, let alone
man, who boldly declares his intense interest in "The Bold and the
Beautiful." Alas, it is too feminine a sopa opera for my masculine side,
which prefers "The Guiding Light" to B&B g. But Mack is incurably
devoted to B&B, alas.

Frankly, I find B&B hopelessly maudlin *and* overblown at the same
time; cliched, silly and overacted. It's just plain silly (but that's
just my opinion). It's like watching a train wreck.

Give me the often-times tongue-in-cheek General Hospital. Or even the
portentious Young and the Restless.

I counterbalance this by my abiding interest in Highlander chuckle.
Old 14-06-2003, 01:44 AM
dave weil

On 13 Jun 2003 19:03:26 -0500, (lms) wrote:

In article ,

says...

And here is a little OT 'secret' - Mack is the one male friend who is
absolutely unafraid of his feminine side; the only person, let alone
man, who boldly declares his intense interest in "The Bold and the
Beautiful." Alas, it is too feminine a sopa opera for my masculine side,
which prefers "The Guiding Light" to B&B g. But Mack is incurably
devoted to B&B, alas.

Frankly, I find B&B hopelessly maudlin *and* overblown at the same
time; cliched, silly and overacted. It's just plain silly (but that's
just my opinion). It's like watching a train wreck.

a train wreck, then clearly you know. yesterday there was a train wreck
bearing down on a train wreck, took me about five minutes to consider
the implications of Macy and Deacon. missed it today, started painting the
house. good thing is, it never matters

Oh yeah. I clearly know - names and all. In one of those Six Degrees
things, the actress who plays Macy is married to a guy that I grew up
with. He's now a successful playwright in LA.

It's just one of those shows that is usually on by default as I'm just
starting to stir towards getting ready for work.

Give me the often-times tongue-in-cheek General Hospital. Or even the
portentious Young and the Restless.

I counterbalance this by my abiding interest in Highlander chuckle.

I like nascar myself, you may have gathered that, maybe not. anything with
a wreck in it.

Nope, hadn't gathered that. This is NASCAR country, so naturally I try
to avoid it.

Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Mike

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Radika Kesavan wrote:
[...]

Ahhhhh! See why we ask questions, class?

This is all very helpful, thank you. I had faith there would be some
relevant reference available. I'll definitely look for Ms. Bellucci's
book. Can't have too many rose books and $14.00 is a deal!

Thanks again,

Mike