Old 14-06-2003, 04:08 PM
JohnDKestell

Default pepper problem! (and other ramblings)

Hi guys,
the garden is going along really well. several days (ok, months) of rain and
not to wicked hot sunshine really helped the transplant shock.

lost a few things, maybe because of the bedding from the cattle auction place
(I posted about that about a week ago). It wasn't ready yet, and so was
probably a little "hot" and fried a couple things, but I think the rain has
helped keep the ammonia and nitrogen burn down.

anyways, I have some habeneros that looked good at the plant shop, a little
yellow, which I thought was just having 14 inch tall plants in those little 3
packs. neglect, not enough soil.....

anyways, the "transplant shock" that I thought was the problem, doesn't seem to
be the problem at all. they are going on a week now, and other than a yellow
color on the leaves, they look fine.

my garden is on its' first year, so the soil isn't great, but not really too
bad either. I added blood and bone meal to the holes before planting (for some
gentle nitrogen and potassium) but am a little bit scared of trying to use some
artificial 20 20 20 on it (like some Peter's). I was thinking, maybe at half
strength or even quarter strength I could see if it helps, then dose it up
from there?

the only thing I have done to try and help is to add a manure tea to the plants
(from my fiance's rabbit, Madam Bun E. Bunns) that was aged for some time. the
rest of the plants seemed to love it, but the damn peppers just won't come
back!

the drainage is fine, the pH looks ok, i'm out of ideas here.

any help would be appreciated. Any other pepper heads out there who have a
trick I might use?

later
john

ps, the cayennes and ceranos look awesome, and they are in the same bed, so the
soil seems like it should work with habeneros too. What's the deal with that?
do they need anything special to flourish?

also, I understand that peppers like a little boost after and during fruiting,
what do you guys think is the best way? I'm trying to keep stuff more or less
organic, but with a late start and a new plot, I think maybe some cheating is
in order on this one. (we have a saying here in alabama "win if you can, lose
if you must, but ALWAYS cheat!)