Old 14-06-2003, 04:20 PM

Default [IBC] Buttonwood

If this tree lives, it will be a miracle. It came with the driftwood partly
underground at a cockeyed angle & the live part sticking up. I carved the
aboveground part in February. It started to develop dots on the leaves after all
this rain, so I sprayed it with Orthenex (which contains Triforine). The other
day I took it out of the pot & put the roots in a baggie. I heeded Mary
Madison's advice to watch for the point of root attachment, but I probably lost quite
a few roots. I wire-brushed the driftwood & treated what I thought would be
the underground part with wood hardener. Sanding it will take too long; that
will have to come later.
Yesterday I wrestled the thing into an oblong pot with Hollow Creek tropical
mix. With my watching the point of attachment & dealing with various
projections, it finally went in at an even more cockeyed angle, with the live part
sticking out in back at another cockeyed angle. Much of the wood hardener treated
part is above ground, which will make the color uneven when I try to apply
lime sulfur. I think what it really needs is a rather deep round or square
literati pot, & being potted at a more upright angle, because there is no
comprehensible front.
Right now I have it in a very shady location outside. I will let it recover.
If it should survive, can I repot it again this year in a more suitable pot?
Since the present root system is rather small, what size pot should I look for?
The tree itself is a little over a foot tall.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++