Old 14-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Annaid

Default I thought I saw it all, but what is this?

I just found a small red and black bug/beetle in the roots of some of my
plants. They are tiny, about 1/8 inch or maybe smaller in length. The head
is black and the body is bright red. The body is sort of the shape of a
candle light bulb. I am pretty sure these bugs cleaned off the leaves of a
columbine plant I found in my yard ( I didn't know there was a columbine
there) and I found some of these bugs at the base of the plant, down near
the roots. they seem to have emitted some sort of 'spittle' around the base
of the plant. Nearby I was pulling up rogue raspberry plants and found more
of these bugs/beetles at the roots of these plants.

I live in zone 4, NH.

Does anyone recognized the description of these bugs? Suggestions for
defense against these bugs?

Thank you
D~