Old 14-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Annaid

Default I thought I saw it all, but what is this?

I just found a small red and black bug/beetle in the roots of some of my
plants. They are tiny, about 1/8 inch or maybe smaller in length. The head
is black and the body is bright red. The body is sort of the shape of a
candle light bulb. I am pretty sure these bugs cleaned off the leaves of a
columbine plant I found in my yard ( I didn't know there was a columbine
there) and I found some of these bugs at the base of the plant, down near
the roots. they seem to have emitted some sort of 'spittle' around the base
of the plant. Nearby I was pulling up rogue raspberry plants and found more
of these bugs/beetles at the roots of these plants.

I live in zone 4, NH.

Does anyone recognized the description of these bugs? Suggestions for
defense against these bugs?

Thank you
D~

Old 15-06-2003, 10:44 PM
llama mama

"Annaid" wrote in
:

I just found a small red and black bug/beetle in the roots of some of
my plants. They are tiny, about 1/8 inch or maybe smaller in length.
The head is black and the body is bright red. The body is sort of the
shape of a candle light bulb. I am pretty sure these bugs cleaned off
the leaves of a columbine plant I found in my yard ( I didn't know
there was a columbine there) and I found some of these bugs at the
base of the plant, down near the roots. they seem to have emitted
some sort of 'spittle' around the base of the plant. Nearby I was
pulling up rogue raspberry plants and found more of these bugs/beetles
at the roots of these plants.

they sound like lily beetles. do you have any tiger lillies? they're
mak8ing swiss cheese of mine. i haven't seen any on the columbines... i'd
suspect with the recent weather slugs ate the columbine.
oh, & the spittle may be spittle bugs, which are a whole different bug.

I live in zone 4, NH.

um...zone 5, on the edge of 6 actually. i have pockets of zone 7 or a
really whacked magnolia

Does anyone recognized the description of these bugs? Suggestions
for defense against these bugs?

a bucket of soapy water & kids. one cent per drowned bug
lee

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old 16-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Annaid

Hi Lee

Yes I do have tiger lilies, and I know what the red lily beetle looks like
(gross disgusting creatures), but the body looks a little different on these
beetles. They are about 1/2 the size of the lily beetles. The red lily
beetle looks to have three segments, these beetles look like one continuous
body. Also, the spittle was down in the ground by the roots not up on the
leaves like the spittle bug. The beetles were in the spittle, in the roots.

Okay, does this make you say hmmmmm or what?

I noticed last year something has cleaned off all the leaves on the
columbine which came from a certain area. I am thinking it is this bug
since the plant I found is in the area from which I transplanted last years
crop. I must say they are very industrious. They totally cleaned off this
Columbine. Nothing left but stems.

Dianna

"llama mama" wrote in message
. ..