Old 15-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

Default PAPHIOPEDILUM VIETNAMENSE

vietnamense is a definite species, different from delanatii, and from a
different location and habitat. Except for the Antec flasks, there are
no legal vietnamenses or hybrids of vietnamense in the US. On the other
hand, delanatii's that are bred from the recently rediscovered
Vietnamese plants are frequently labelled as "Vietnamese' to distinguish
themselves from the old line bred plants. From my limited experience, by
the way, I have not found the "Vietnamese" delanatii's to be any better
than the older clones...in fact, they seem to be distinctly inferior for
both shape and fragrance....but that is just my experience...However,
there are apparently some European strains that are selected for
fragrance. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in very soggy Queens NY