Old 12-06-2003, 11:32 PM
AN

Default PAPHIOPEDILUM VIETNAMENSE

HI ALL CHECK THIS OUT

http://home.ica.net/~birch/paphs.htm

paphiopedilum vietnamense legal?????? medium size seedlings?????
i htough antec were going to be the first ones.
hahahaha
soon everybody will be able to show the ones they secretly have .

Old 13-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Well, that is in Canada. Maybe the interpretation is different.

Now good luck getting them into the US.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Steve

Funny thing about that web site....
http://home.ica.net/~birch/paphs.htm
8th plant down the list:
Paph. Delrosi - rothschildianum 'Charlesbourg' X delenatii (vietnamese)

They can't decide if they used Paph. Delrosi or vietnamese?

Paph. vietnamense is the species... a little snooping on the web seems
to indicate there is a Paph. delanatii 'vietnamese'. Really?

Steve

Old 14-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Michael Gerzog

Steve wrote in message ...
Funny thing about that web site....
http://home.ica.net/~birch/paphs.htm
8th plant down the list:
Paph. Delrosi - rothschildianum 'Charlesbourg' X delenatii (vietnamese)

They can't decide if they used Paph. Delrosi or vietnamese?

Paph. vietnamense is the species... a little snooping on the web seems
to indicate there is a Paph. delanatii 'vietnamese'. Really?

Steve

Yes, really. It's a (relatively) recently discovered larger, darker
form than the plants that were all the descendants of the few plants
first discovered by Westerners in, IIRC, the early 20th Century.

It "should" be illegal in the US under the USFWS interpretation of
CITES, but they apparently recognized the impossibility of
distinguishing them from the "legal" ones and gave up on that one. It
is usually indicated the way the original listing had it, with
parentheses, not your single quotes which are used for clonal/cultivar
names and would indicate that they're all divisions of the one
original plant (which they're not).

Michael
Old 14-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Steve

Steve wrote:
Paph. Delrosi - rothschildianum 'Charlesbourg' X delenatii (vietnamese)

They can't decide if they used Paph. Delrosi or vietnamese?

Paph. vietnamense is the species... a little snooping on the web seems
to indicate there is a Paph. delanatii 'vietnamese'. Really?

Looking at my post in the light of a new day...
I see that (in that middle line) I wrote Delrosi where I meant to write
delenatii.
I guess what I was wondering, but didn't ask, was is there a Paph.
vietnamense AND a Paph. delenatii (vietnamese)? Note the 2 different
spellings which I simply copied from web pages. Or is there a dispute in
what to call the newer Paphs from Vietnam?

Steve

Old 15-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

vietnamense is a definite species, different from delanatii, and from a
different location and habitat. Except for the Antec flasks, there are
no legal vietnamenses or hybrids of vietnamense in the US. On the other
hand, delanatii's that are bred from the recently rediscovered
Vietnamese plants are frequently labelled as "Vietnamese' to distinguish
themselves from the old line bred plants. From my limited experience, by
the way, I have not found the "Vietnamese" delanatii's to be any better
than the older clones...in fact, they seem to be distinctly inferior for
both shape and fragrance....but that is just my experience...However,
there are apparently some European strains that are selected for
fragrance. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in very soggy Queens NY

POE 2007 - Paphiopedilum vietnamense - lovely fuzzy pink Paph Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:15 AM
Paphiopedilum vietnamense and Paphiopedilum hermannii CITES and the EU freeflyer Orchids 4 30-06-2005 07:04 AM
Paph vietnamense taxonomy Al Orchids 7 31-05-2003 08:44 PM
Paph vietnamense parent Gene Schurg Orchids 11 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
Languishing Paphiopedilum germ Orchids 12 03-02-2003 02:18 PM