Old 03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default crown rot -- please advise!

Tanya writes:
do you keep it with your other orchids? (i.e. is it contagious?)

Haven't got a choice. I live in a small flat.

If it is rot, I don't think it is transferable by air. It _is_
transferable by contact between infected parts and other plants. If you
dunk-water your plants, I would water it last, and I would wash out
the bucket afterwards. If you hold your plants under the tap when
watering, you should be ok.

also did you treat it with anything? (i.e. benomyl?)

I live in Norway. The only antifungicide I can get hold of legally is
cinnamon.

would you think that sphagnum moss (high grade loose is ok?) it had been in
fairly fine bark before yesterday)
it (i am sure) will be losing its next to last leaf (leaving one)

I sincerely don't know. I have never been able to save a plant that
has lost its roots, one way or another. I do know that bagging doesn't
work for me, but neither do many of the other tricks used by growers
in warmer climates.

Ray might be able to help?

Geir