Old 15-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Trevise

Default The importance of Mulching

"GardeningGuy" wrote in message
I'd like to thank the posters of this newsgroup. I was advised to mulch
in order to withstand the heatwave. I have mulched with grass clippings.
What could be simpler?? This has cut the frequency of watering in half
and it also controls weeds. If any of you have not tried this, I
strongly encourage you to mulch.

Thank you,

GardeningGuy

I think grass as a mulch is okay as a stop-gap, but you might want to use a
better mulch. For one thing, the grass clippings will eventually add too
much nitrogen to the soil. For another, grass clippings tend to get matted
to the point where even water will have a hard time getting through. Some
grass in your mulch is okay, but nothing but grass as your mulch isn't (in
my experiences, anyway) a good idea.

Rich