Old 15-06-2003, 04:20 AM
GardeningGuy

Default The importance of Mulching

I'd like to thank the posters of this newsgroup. I was advised to mulch
in order to withstand the heatwave. I have mulched with grass clippings.
What could be simpler?? This has cut the frequency of watering in half
and it also controls weeds. If any of you have not tried this, I
strongly encourage you to mulch.

Thank you,

GardeningGuy

Old 15-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Trevise

"GardeningGuy" wrote in message
I'd like to thank the posters of this newsgroup. I was advised to mulch
in order to withstand the heatwave. I have mulched with grass clippings.
What could be simpler?? This has cut the frequency of watering in half
and it also controls weeds. If any of you have not tried this, I
strongly encourage you to mulch.

Thank you,

GardeningGuy

I think grass as a mulch is okay as a stop-gap, but you might want to use a
better mulch. For one thing, the grass clippings will eventually add too
much nitrogen to the soil. For another, grass clippings tend to get matted
to the point where even water will have a hard time getting through. Some
grass in your mulch is okay, but nothing but grass as your mulch isn't (in
my experiences, anyway) a good idea.

Rich

Old 15-06-2003, 07:44 AM
--Bill--

Trevise wrote:
"GardeningGuy" wrote in message

I'd like to thank the posters of this newsgroup. I was advised to mulch
in order to withstand the heatwave. I have mulched with grass clippings.
What could be simpler?? This has cut the frequency of watering in half
and it also controls weeds. If any of you have not tried this, I
strongly encourage you to mulch.

Thank you,

GardeningGuy

Man, here in the Caribbean I can't get enough mulch. Weekly trimming
and jungle removal leave me with a mountain of leavings and its too darn
expensive to ship down a machine to chop it all up.
We get about 30" of rain per year on this dry flat island - about half
of that is usually attributed to a one-time nearby hurricane or storm in
September.
I've got my pile but it won't go compost or anything. Just serves as
dry home for mice.
What little bit of mulch and compost I've been able to make has been
chopped up by hand and watered more than the plants!

-B.

Old 15-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , --Bill--
wrote:

Trevise wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'd find something to complain about it I lived in paradise, too...

Jan, in Alaska
Old 15-06-2003, 12:44 PM
GrampysGurl

Yeah, I'd find something to complain about it I lived in paradise, too...

Jan, in Alaska

LOL!!!! Alaska isn't to shabby either, what little of a spring/summer you get
is quite beautiful. Connecticut isn't too shabby either, 60% of the state is
forest ... just 100 years ago almost all the forests were cut for fuel,
agriculture and building materials.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut

Old 16-06-2003, 01:08 AM
JCMumsie

Connecticut isn't too shabby either, 60% of the state is
forest ... just 100 years ago almost all the forests were cut for fuel,
agriculture and building materials.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut

Colleen - I agree about CT - I live in Southington and I think I am zone 6 - is
it possible that our small state has two zones?
Old 17-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Carl e Roberts

greetings from a very warm and humid Memphis

amazingly enough where you live is our idea of "paradise".

Old 18-06-2003, 03:56 PM
GrampysGurl

Colleen - I agree about CT - I live in Southington and I think I am zone 6 -
is
it possible that our small state has

Yup, 2 zones.... zone 5 is only a very tiny part of CT, I am right next to the
river in a valley.

Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut