Old 15-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Darkginger

Default Which artichoke?

Alan Gould wrote

snip

It's also worth remembering that though
globes are relations of the wild thistle and thus real toughies, they
will produce artichokes a lot better in a sheltered spot. Their most
favoured habitat is in the Mediterranean region, but they can grow and
produce quite successfully in UK if given the right care.

My single artichoke plant (Green Improved, I seem to recall) was bought as a
couple of leaves from a garden centre. I didn't hold out much hope for it,
especially as it's doomed to live in a (large) pot, but it's doing really
well - lots of new leaves, and very healthy looking. Around 2 foot tall at
the moment. From what I've read, it's unlikely to produce much in the way of
a flower this year, but will hopefully do something next season. No bugs, no
slugs as yet (it's surrounded with pellets!). I bought a job lot of veggie
plants - the artichoke, a patio potato, a sweet pepper plant, a jalapeno
pepper, another chilli pepper, and mangetout - 6 plants for 15 euro. All
are doing much better than I expected, and I'll certainly buy from that
garden centre (Horkan's just outside Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland) again
next year. Not particularly cheap, but I think good value anyway, as the
plants are doing so well.

Jo