Old 15-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Raane

Default Help choosing the right rose.

I have not gardened for many years and am in the process of rekindling
that interest. I am in Zone 4 or 5 – although I would go with 5 –
since I am pretty good about covering things well. I recently
purchased a new home which has a white porch along the entire front.
I'd like to plant a pink, climbing rose all along the front, to climb
up the front porch railings. After some on-line research, I thought
that either Super-Dorothy or Super-Excelsa might be a good choice
because I am looking for vigorous growers that will have lots of bloom
throughout the season. However, the flowers are quite small, and
neither has a scent. I would love to find the qualities of these two
roses with a slightly larger flower and a nice fragrance. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I know I am being greedy here…wanting it all!
But actually, if I have to "settle" for one of the two I mentioned, I
think I would be pretty happy with them.

Also, I have several spots around the home with either shade or
"dappled" shade and I'd like to incorporate some roses into these
areas, if I could. Has anyone had any luck growing roses in non-sunny
conditions and which ones, if any, worked well?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback. Please feel
free to write directly, if you'd like. It's . Thank
you!

Raane