Old 15-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Raane

Default Help choosing the right rose.

I have not gardened for many years and am in the process of rekindling
that interest. I am in Zone 4 or 5 – although I would go with 5 –
since I am pretty good about covering things well. I recently
purchased a new home which has a white porch along the entire front.
I'd like to plant a pink, climbing rose all along the front, to climb
up the front porch railings. After some on-line research, I thought
that either Super-Dorothy or Super-Excelsa might be a good choice
because I am looking for vigorous growers that will have lots of bloom
throughout the season. However, the flowers are quite small, and
neither has a scent. I would love to find the qualities of these two
roses with a slightly larger flower and a nice fragrance. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I know I am being greedy here…wanting it all!
But actually, if I have to "settle" for one of the two I mentioned, I
think I would be pretty happy with them.

Also, I have several spots around the home with either shade or
"dappled" shade and I'd like to incorporate some roses into these
areas, if I could. Has anyone had any luck growing roses in non-sunny
conditions and which ones, if any, worked well?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback. Please feel
free to write directly, if you'd like. It's . Thank
you!

Raane
Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Theo Asir

First where at are you.
A zone 4/5 in the mountains
is very different from one in
the plains.

For pink I'd say New Dawn.
Don't look further. It is the absolute
standard against which all other
climbing roses are measured.

I grow many Hybrid musks in relatively
shady areas, but these are not tree shaded
areas. Very few roses will do well under tree shade.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

m...

Old 16-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Raane

I am in New England - southern NH. It is somewhat mountainous.
Thanks so much Theo for suggesting New Dawn. I checked it out and it
is beautiful and everything I was hoping to find. I think that I am
going to try it!

Raane

"Theo Asir" wrote in message news:e76718663b25da9b8d8900be93691f5f@TeraNews.. .
First where at are you.
A zone 4/5 in the mountains
is very different from one in
the plains.

For pink I'd say New Dawn.
Don't look further. It is the absolute
standard against which all other
climbing roses are measured.

I grow many Hybrid musks in relatively
shady areas, but these are not tree shaded
areas. Very few roses will do well under tree shade.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Raane" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Choosing the right topsoil Newbie Gardener Edible Gardening 1 16-03-2017 08:23 PM
Have I done the right thing with my Rose cuttings?...help! Torianth Roses 2 27-04-2012 08:32 AM
Rose choosing dilemma mm Roses 3 17-05-2005 11:29 PM
choosing a rose peta Roses 0 26-12-2004 06:13 AM
Help choosing commercial 48" walk-behind Roger Seymour Lawns 0 28-04-2003 11:20 AM