Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Cat

Default pruning holly bushes

Hi all, newby here.
Based in the Midlands of Ireland, I have three variegated holly bushes which
need a haircut very badly - planted along the front of the garden, they have
spread and engulfed a few rose bushes, and generally have gone a bit out of
control. Is this a good time to prune them back into shape, or should I
wait till autumn?
Also, I have a small weeping standard tree (about 5 foot tall, not sure at
all what it is, as it came with the garden of the house I moved into only a
few weeks ago). This too needs a haircut, if only to keep its shape, and to
shorten its lowest weeping branches to keep them clear from the lawnmower's
way - should this wait, or can it be done immediately?
All answers much appreciated, either on here on by email.
With thanks!!
Cat(h) (with itchy secateurs)