Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Cat

Default pruning holly bushes

Hi all, newby here.
Based in the Midlands of Ireland, I have three variegated holly bushes which
need a haircut very badly - planted along the front of the garden, they have
spread and engulfed a few rose bushes, and generally have gone a bit out of
control. Is this a good time to prune them back into shape, or should I
wait till autumn?
Also, I have a small weeping standard tree (about 5 foot tall, not sure at
all what it is, as it came with the garden of the house I moved into only a
few weeks ago). This too needs a haircut, if only to keep its shape, and to
shorten its lowest weeping branches to keep them clear from the lawnmower's
way - should this wait, or can it be done immediately?
All answers much appreciated, either on here on by email.
With thanks!!
Cat(h) (with itchy secateurs)

Old 16-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:41:16 +0100, Cat wrote:
Also, I have a small weeping standard tree (about 5 foot tall, not sure at
all what it is, as it came with the garden of the house I moved into only a
few weeks ago). This too needs a haircut, if only to keep its shape, and to
shorten its lowest weeping branches to keep them clear from the lawnmower's

Hi Cat,

if you standard tree is a willow, go for it at any time! I frequently give
mine a haircut. The main thing to do with a weeping tree is to remove any
growth going straight up, and if it gets too weeping, to give it the old
bowl cut, so you can get under it. Do cut out any dead wood as well. I've
loped anything up to a foot off my weeping willow weepy bits before now
with no adverse effects.

Sarah
Old 16-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Cat

[...]