Old 03-03-2003, 05:39 PM
animaux

Default Need help picking a grass

Grass burrs are an indication the soil lacks fertility. Before you do anything,
I would rent a core aerator or call around to get a price on having that done.
It is not that expensive. Spread 1/4 inch of compost on the soil after you core
aerate, water it thoroughly and after the first time you mow, fertilize it with
a slow release, organic fertilizer. I recommend organic fertilizer because it
will also add organic matter in the form of humates.

Keep the turf mowed all spring and in about June, see what you have. At that
time, you can determine if you need to do anything else to the lawn. If it were
me, I would use St. Augustine, but I don't know how far north it will grow. I
live in Central Texas and have St. Augustine and bermuda combination. Where the
shade leads off, the bermuda disappears.

Victoria

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:02:12 -0600, "Angie" wrote:

Hello! I just purchased a house and the lawn is in terrible shape. It's
"grass" consists of miniscule sticker bushes. I was wondering if anyone
could recommend a good grass for me. The specifics a Transisition Zone
(SW Arkansas), Full sun, sandy dirt, low - medium maintence, and some
traffic on the back yard, I have a small dog. Thanks!

Angie