Old 03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Angie

Default Need help picking a grass

Hello! I just purchased a house and the lawn is in terrible shape. It's
"grass" consists of miniscule sticker bushes. I was wondering if anyone
could recommend a good grass for me. The specifics a Transisition Zone
(SW Arkansas), Full sun, sandy dirt, low - medium maintence, and some
traffic on the back yard, I have a small dog. Thanks!

Angie

Old 03-03-2003, 05:39 PM
animaux

Grass burrs are an indication the soil lacks fertility. Before you do anything,
I would rent a core aerator or call around to get a price on having that done.
It is not that expensive. Spread 1/4 inch of compost on the soil after you core
aerate, water it thoroughly and after the first time you mow, fertilize it with
a slow release, organic fertilizer. I recommend organic fertilizer because it
will also add organic matter in the form of humates.

Keep the turf mowed all spring and in about June, see what you have. At that
time, you can determine if you need to do anything else to the lawn. If it were
me, I would use St. Augustine, but I don't know how far north it will grow. I
live in Central Texas and have St. Augustine and bermuda combination. Where the
shade leads off, the bermuda disappears.

Victoria

Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Karen Fletcher

Angie wrote:
: Hello! I just purchased a house and the lawn is in terrible shape. It's
: "grass" consists of miniscule sticker bushes. I was wondering if anyone
: could recommend a good grass for me. The specifics a Transisition Zone
: (SW Arkansas), Full sun, sandy dirt, low - medium maintence, and some
: traffic on the back yard, I have a small dog. Thanks!

Your best bet is to put in a call to your local county Extension office.
They will have the best advice on what works for your local growing
conditions.

Arkansas Extension has this Web site:
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/

and offers this advice on lawns:
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/lawns/default.asp

Cheers!

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002
Old 04-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Trish K.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:02:12 -0600, "Angie" wrote:

Hello! I just purchased a house and the lawn is in terrible shape. It's
"grass" consists of miniscule sticker bushes. I was wondering if anyone
could recommend a good grass for me. The specifics a Transisition Zone
(SW Arkansas), Full sun, sandy dirt, low - medium maintence, and some
traffic on the back yard, I have a small dog. Thanks!

Angie

Sandy dirt dries out too fast to grow blue grass well (unless you own
a dam). If you can't or don't want to follow suggestions about soil
improvement the best grass is "turf-type" tall fescue because it has
deep roots which make it though the day. We don't live in your state
but considering one of the best brand names is "Rebel" I suppose it
grows nicely there. Good for dogs frolicking, but not a soft as other
grasses.

TK