Old 15-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Jan Flora

Default USDA Hardiness Zone for Zip 99516

In article , "John McGaw"
wrote:

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
That's just outside Anchorage, AK.... any help appreciated.

Dave

When I lived there I found that the microclimate on the south side of my
house just off the Glenn Highway across from Elmendorf AFB allowed me to
grow oriental lillies, normally zone 5 or higher, with no problem at all.
Otherwise zone 4 seemed to be a good match for the climate there. At least I
never lost anything from the cold that I could identify as such (of course
that didn't stop moose from killing off a few plants).

Yep, Anchorage and most of the Kenai Peninsula is generally zone 4. But as John
mentioned, you can work the microclimates in your yard to good advantage.

The Alaska Cooperative Extension Service has loads of information on flower
and veggie gardening on their website available for free in .pdf format.
(Adobe Acrobat.) Do a web search for "alaska ces" and it'll come up.

You have some teriffic nurseries up in Anchorage. Ask them for advice. They'll
be glad to help you find the plants, bushes and trees that'll work in your yard.
(PS: You can grow apple trees in Anchorage. If you want to try it, I'll dig up
the phone number for the Rare Fruit Explorer's chapter up there for you.)

Jan in Homer, 99603