Old 15-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Chives: How to grow?

"kcchin" wrote in message ...
I love eating Chives, and have collected 6 varieties.
Grow them all in pots and with varied soils, sandy, and clayey. They survive
reasonably
well and look healthy BUT they do not seem to multiply much, and I can
hardly crop much of
them. Where did I go wrong? What conditions do chives thrive/multiple well
in?

Very fertile but freely draining soil; they should be watered
regularly in dry weather. In the planting pockets I suggested in
answer to your "Sand, sand" question they should multiply freely; but
you need to take off the flower-buds as they appear, to stop the
plants putting all their energy into making seed.

Mike.