Old 15-06-2003, 04:44 PM
kcchin

Default Chives: How to grow?

I love eating Chives, and have collected 6 varieties.
Grow them all in pots and with varied soils, sandy, and clayey. They survive
reasonably
well and look healthy BUT they do not seem to multiply much, and I can
hardly crop much of
them. Where did I go wrong? What conditions do chives thrive/multiple well
in?

Old 15-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:34:18 +0800, "kcchin"
wrote:

I love eating Chives, and have collected 6 varieties.
Grow them all in pots and with varied soils, sandy, and clayey. They survive
reasonably
well and look healthy BUT they do not seem to multiply much, and I can
hardly crop much of
them. Where did I go wrong? What conditions do chives thrive/multiple well
in?

They are not particular, and they seem to grow like herbs grow--full
sun, quick drainage, and little attention. They are a good choice in a
sunny rock garden. If you have a cold winter, use mulch. They will
grow better/faster in the ground than pots. A thin layer of rotted
cow manure will be beneficial, but I would not give a potted plant
manure (it could burn the plant).
Old 15-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Mike Lyle

"kcchin" wrote in message ...
I love eating Chives, and have collected 6 varieties.
Grow them all in pots and with varied soils, sandy, and clayey. They survive
reasonably
well and look healthy BUT they do not seem to multiply much, and I can
hardly crop much of
them. Where did I go wrong? What conditions do chives thrive/multiple well
in?

Very fertile but freely draining soil; they should be watered
regularly in dry weather. In the planting pockets I suggested in
answer to your "Sand, sand" question they should multiply freely; but
you need to take off the flower-buds as they appear, to stop the
plants putting all their energy into making seed.

Mike.
Old 16-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Sue

Chives are more apt to multiply when harvested to the ground at least 3
times per season. They grow back nicely in about a weeks time. Chives will
eventually thicken without harvest however slowly and will concentrate in
producing seed at which time the stems are hard with very low flavor and it
is recommended these should not be used at this stage.

[IMG] code is On

The 10 Worst Chives of 2002 harvest dancer sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
garlic chives shazzbat United Kingdom 8 09-03-2003 10:11 PM
garlic chives - an excellent slug trap Mike Gilmore United Kingdom 0 08-03-2003 07:45 AM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM