Old 16-06-2003, 05:08 AM
tiger x

Default Persimmon Tree

"The Ranger" wrote in message ...
I am seeing my dwarf persimmon tree growing like a teen in high school; it's
already 6 feet tall. I'd like to manage this growth a little better so that
I don't have a long, spindly stick for a tree (currently, the trunk is 1"
thick for its first 5'8").

]
I have supported it with stakes on either side so when our afternoon
winds start whipping it about, it doesn't end up a stick with a couple
leaves.

That's probably not the best way to handle the problem. Bending of the
trunk in the wind causes it to toughen and get thicker, much like
excerise builds up our muscles. Staking the tree prevents this from
happening and just encourages spindly growth. It is better to prune
some of the weight out of the top and let it sway in the wind.
-Tiger

Is there a way of "topping" it without killing it? I'd
like to "force it to bush out a little, too, but am stymied on how to do
this.

Many thanks.

The Ranger