Old 14-06-2003, 04:20 PM
The Ranger

Default Persimmon Tree

I am seeing my dwarf persimmon tree growing like a teen in high school; it's
already 6 feet tall. I'd like to manage this growth a little better so that
I don't have a long, spindly stick for a tree (currently, the trunk is 1"
thick for its first 5'8"). I have supported it with stakes on either side so
when our afternoon winds start whipping it about, it doesn't end up a stick
with a couple leaves. Is there a way of "topping" it without killing it? I'd
like to "force it to bush out a little, too, but am stymied on how to do
this.

Many thanks.

The Ranger
--
The 56k modem teaches us patience, humility, and the love of quiet
contemplation, grasshopper.

Old 15-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Pete B

Hi Ranger
Just wait until this winter and chop it off anywhere you want to. It will be
fine.
Pete

Old 15-06-2003, 04:32 PM
The Ranger

Repeating Decimal wrote:
The 56k modem teaches us patience, humility, and the love of quiet
contemplation, grasshopper.

You should try a 300 baud modem. That once the ripping speed jump
after the 110 baud speed of TTY35's and that ilk. That would teach
you patience.

Been there, so done that; I was a Prodigy member during their first
marketing blitz.

The "Technology is not to be Feared" Ranger

Old 15-06-2003, 09:32 PM
The Ranger

Repeating Decimal wrote:
Back to persimmons, however, I was told that the best you
could do was to get a semi-dwarf variety. I have one that
will have to be pruned back heavily just to keep it below
power lines.

It does, however, produce fine fuyus.

How many years before it started producing?

The Ranger

Old 16-06-2003, 05:08 AM
tiger x

]
I have supported it with stakes on either side so when our afternoon
winds start whipping it about, it doesn't end up a stick with a couple
leaves.

That's probably not the best way to handle the problem. Bending of the
trunk in the wind causes it to toughen and get thicker, much like
excerise builds up our muscles. Staking the tree prevents this from
happening and just encourages spindly growth. It is better to prune
some of the weight out of the top and let it sway in the wind.
-Tiger