Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Ian Cundell

Default Birch - over or under watered?

I have a multi stemmed Silver Birch (Betula Pendula) that I planted last
September. It is around 15 feet tall.

It started growing very nicely in April.

However, over tha last two weeks leaves have been yellowing.

I thought I might have overwatered it, because I was conscious that we
had had very little rain (I'm in Herts) so had an 'if in doubt give it a
soak' policy.

So I cut back to a once-a-week regime, but it does not seem to be
settling.

So is there an easy way to tell what the problem is?

And what is the best course of action to protect the tree?

I have a Betula Utilis 'Snow Queen' that is thriving on a similar
watering regime.

Cheers,

Ian

--

"I go online sometimes, but...everyone's spelling is really bad,
and...it's depressing"