Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Bluebell seeds

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , Annabel
writes

Collecting seed from the wild is illegal

Are you sure of that? Can you specify the legislation that it comes
under?

Uprooting plants without the owner's permission is illegal, but not,
AFAIK, collecting seed.

[...]

But under UK law all land is somebody's property, and that includes
anything growing on it. So even if it isn't illegal to collect seed of
a particular species (but ISTR the prohibition now covers all
species), without the owner's permission it's ordinary theft to
collect seed from privately-owned plants: i.e., all plants. Catch 23?

Regardless of whether I'm right about that, I think people should take
the Spanish bluebell problem seriously: pollen gets moved about quite
a lot. I was going to plant some "Spaniards" last year, because I
wanted some white ones, and decided not to, to be on the safe side.

Mike.