Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Bill Freeman

Default Help me Select Gas Trimmer

Ryobi 4-cycle (avoid the 2-cycles unless you want the noise,
pollution etc.). Have a "rebuilt" 4-cycle trimmer off of eBay and have
added accessories .. . a real "bear" performer .. . terrific. Caveat: use a
shoulder harness and even then it can be tiring if you have a lot to do but
the power and economy are definitely there.

"Mojo" wrote in message
Joe, this exactly what I was thinking about doing. I will call up the
local dealer on Monday and pick one of these up. My theory is the
same as yours. Pay a little extra and get something that works good
and take care of it. Thanks for your input.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:58:40 -0400, Joe wrote:

I just bought a Stihl FS 55 yesterday, used it for two tanks of gas. I
cannot believe I didn't get one of these many years ago. It's the
smallest straight shaft model they make, $200.00. It has more than
enough power, handles a polyblade and string, and works just fine with
a blade, although they don't recommend it for safety reasons. Well
built machine. It's expensive, but I'm beginning to adhere to the
theory of, "Buy once, cry once."

Just a thought, and don't mean to take you down a different path.

On 14 Jun 2003 05:43:38 GMT, (Mojo) wrote:

Robin, that explains the "Factory Recertified" JD RCS400 I saw at Home
Depot today. I couldn't find this model number on JD web site. Is
it safe toI assume it is a Factory Recertified S 1400?

Stihl FS45 is a curved Shaft. Is there a difference in durability
difference between a straight shaft vs. curved shaft?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:25:21 -0400, "Robin" wrote:

Mojo wrote:
I have narrowed down my choice of trimmers to the following 3:

John Deere S1400
Stihl FS-45
Riyobi 775r

I am looking for a reliable trimmer that is comfortable to use. Any
comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I had a S1400. I liked the attachments but it just failed.The starter

pull
stopped retracting. I went shopping for a replacement that would work

with
the attachments. I noticed that Home Depot had a load of reconditioned

JDs
for $80. I think they had a lot of problems with these machines and no
longer sell them under the JD name. My experience certainly has soured

me to
the brand even though I have a JD snowblower that works every time. I

passed
on the JD trimmer and got a Toro I would have bought the Ryobi if it

was
stocked in any of my local stores.

Robin