Old 13-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Mojo

Default Help me Select Gas Trimmer

I have narrowed down my choice of trimmers to the following 3:

John Deere S1400
Stihl FS-45
Riyobi 775r

I am looking for a reliable trimmer that is comfortable to use. Any
comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 13-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Perry Noid

Mojo wrote:

I have narrowed down my choice of trimmers to the following 3:

John Deere S1400
Stihl FS-45
Riyobi 775r

I am looking for a reliable trimmer that is comfortable to use. Any
comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I don't know the other two brands, but i've got a Stihl that's about 10
years old and still runs like new! An occasional squirt of carb cleaner
and a new pull cord is all it ever needed. I attribute the long life not
only to the brand name, but also that the facts that i ALWAYS make sure
there's oil in the gas and NEVER-EVER loan it out!!! P cause although
you can trust the person you loan it to, there's always some brat who
will jump on the opportunity to sabotoge if someone else will get blamed
/
Old 13-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Robin

Mojo wrote:
I have narrowed down my choice of trimmers to the following 3:

John Deere S1400
Stihl FS-45
Riyobi 775r

I am looking for a reliable trimmer that is comfortable to use. Any
comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I had a S1400. I liked the attachments but it just failed.The starter pull
stopped retracting. I went shopping for a replacement that would work with
the attachments. I noticed that Home Depot had a load of reconditioned JDs
for $80. I think they had a lot of problems with these machines and no
longer sell them under the JD name. My experience certainly has soured me to
the brand even though I have a JD snowblower that works every time. I passed
on the JD trimmer and got a Toro I would have bought the Ryobi if it was
stocked in any of my local stores.

Robin

Old 14-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Mojo

Robin, that explains the "Factory Recertified" JD RCS400 I saw at Home
Depot today. I couldn't find this model number on JD web site. Is
it safe toI assume it is a Factory Recertified S 1400?

Stihl FS45 is a curved Shaft. Is there a difference in durability
difference between a straight shaft vs. curved shaft?

Old 14-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Robin

Mojo wrote:
[...]

It certainly looked like an S1400 apart from the model number.

Old 14-06-2003, 11:08 PM

I just bought a Stihl FS 55 yesterday, used it for two tanks of gas. I
cannot believe I didn't get one of these many years ago. It's the
smallest straight shaft model they make, $200.00. It has more than
enough power, handles a polyblade and string, and works just fine with
a blade, although they don't recommend it for safety reasons. Well
built machine. It's expensive, but I'm beginning to adhere to the
theory of, "Buy once, cry once."

Just a thought, and don't mean to take you down a different path.

Old 15-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Mojo

Joe, this exactly what I was thinking about doing. I will call up the
local dealer on Monday and pick one of these up. My theory is the
same as yours. Pay a little extra and get something that works good
and take care of it. Thanks for your input.

Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Bill Freeman

Ryobi 4-cycle (avoid the 2-cycles unless you want the noise,
pollution etc.). Have a "rebuilt" 4-cycle trimmer off of eBay and have
added accessories .. . a real "bear" performer .. . terrific. Caveat: use a
shoulder harness and even then it can be tiring if you have a lot to do but
the power and economy are definitely there.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Vic

I have a ryobi 775r and i loved it. Operative word being loved. While
it was old and sat in my parent's garage for about 1 yr before i got
it (oct 02), it worked fine from Jan-Apr 03. loud as heck though. Then
the carb started leaking. oh what a pain... after hemming and hawing,
I saw the JD's at Home Depot and got the BCS600 (brushcutter and
trimmer), which is actually the 1600 on the John Deere website. same
$80 price. Told my neighbor, he got one too.

From the 2 that I've got, I'll say this, the JD is quieter than the
Ryobi. plus the JD has the shoulder strap which makes it great.
Doesn't vibrate as much and easy to turn right up.

Also, it takes the universal attachments so that's great. It has a
thicker line on it, and more HP. The cheapest one I've seen that has
the same options is $169 Toro.

People might say, its a JD and reconditioned, but my take is this. It
didn't work before, whether it never passed QC or just failed on its
own after sale. Now I know the folks fixed it and made sure it was
tested before it went out, so I should have a better one than if I
spent the $189 MSRP on this one. Plus it was $80.

I'm going to trim today, but from testing it out yesterday, it cut
really well, and the thicker line (.095) held up better then the
Ryobi's (.080) around the driveway.

Old 17-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Mojo

I went with the Stihl FS55. Picked it up yesterday for $200. I will
try it out this weekend. It has to be a great improvement over my 15
year old electric that I gave to charity last week. What a pain in
the back that was!

Old 18-06-2003, 05:10 AM

I don't think you'll be sorry. I don't know where to buy a pair, but
at one time, I had a pair of 'screen goggles'. Using goggles when
brushing is not an preference, it's a must. Anyway, screen goggles
don't fog up like the plastic ones provided by Stihl.
This machine is the way things should be built. Who owns Stihl? I'd
like to own a few shares in this company.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:56 AM
GRL

I've seen those Ryobi refurbs on eBay, too. What condition was yours in? Was
it obviously used and returned? I really wonder where that guy on eBay gets
so many of them from.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Bill Freeman

Refurb was excellent. Ryobi used with snow blower in winter,
trimmer, bush trimmer, limb saw & garden tiller. You don't get much of a
warranty when refurbished .. . but you don't pay a high price either.
Recommend synthetic oil summer/winter. Note: this was the 4-cycle model,
not the 2-cycle.