Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default what the deer eat at my house

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:16:52 -0400, Jane Peppler
wrote:

a list of plants deer have eaten at her house.

I've found they DON'T touch most herbs, like rosemary, lemon verbena,
oregano. Nor a pomegranate shrub, Forsythia, the ferns, jack-in-the-
pulpits, and buckeyes that thrive in the woods. And oh how I wish
they WOULD eat nimblewill, bamboo grass, and eleagnus.

I put a fence around my veggie garden, so am safe there.
Other flower areas I have put chicken wire around the individual beds.
You develop a blind spot to it after a while, and the wire weathers
and becomes almost unnoticeable.

But they have completely cleaned out the edible understory in our
neighborhood woods... young dogwoods, maples, etc. Only the Eleagnus
flourishes. And every year, more and more older dogwoods just up and
die. Very sad (but makes great firewood).
Kira