Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
BAC

Default Whats the oldest garden you have been to?

"Bigjon" wrote in message
. ..
Peacock declared:

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Cheers

Paul P

Haddon Hall in Bakewell, derbyshire.
The present building and grounds date from as far back as the 12th

Century,
the first recorded owner being Richard de vernon in 1187, although a house
was recorded there in 1087 in the doomsday book. Originally it was mainly

vegetable and fruit garden and has a lovely raised walled garden as well

as
a surrounding terraces. The gardens were totally renovated in the 1920's I
believe, but they are still in line with the original documented scheme.
The Hall is a great day out, and is itself mostly intact and viewable in
its medieval condition...

You beat me to it - Haddon's about the oldest actual garden I can recall.
And the view down to the River Wye from the surviving part is great. People
who don't find Haddon Hall and garden enough to fill a day out could always
move on to Chatsworth, a few miles away - the gardens there are magnificent,
especially the water features.