Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Vox Humana

Default Q. Columbine done blooming, what to do?

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
The Columbine is done blooming, long stems with pods on them. Are there

seeds
in these pods that can be sown elsewhere to grow? I wish to either cut

back the
plant or relocate it now. How far back can it be cut back? Can I relocate

it
now?

Mine self sow and seem to have a high germination rate. They pop up by the
hundreds in the immediate vicinity of the parent plant. If you want more, I
would let the pods mature. They will turn dark brown and split open. There
will be hundreds of tiny black seeds inside that look like poppy seeds. You
can sprinkle them around the area that you want more. Mine seem to need to
go through a winter and then germinate in the spring. Mine bloom the second
year. If you just want to tidy them up you can cut the flower stems off.
They can probably be transplanted, but they will tend to wilt. In SW Ohio,
they are plagued by the columbine leaf miner and get ratty after they bloom.