Old 16-06-2003, 06:04 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Q. Columbine done blooming, what to do?

The Columbine is done blooming, long stems with pods on them. Are there seeds
in these pods that can be sown elsewhere to grow? I wish to either cut back the
plant or relocate it now. How far back can it be cut back? Can I relocate it
now?

Oh, and Cereoid, I'm not interested in doing one of your nude fertility dances
in this matter.

Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Vox Humana

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
The Columbine is done blooming, long stems with pods on them. Are there

seeds
in these pods that can be sown elsewhere to grow? I wish to either cut

back the
plant or relocate it now. How far back can it be cut back? Can I relocate

it
now?

Mine self sow and seem to have a high germination rate. They pop up by the
hundreds in the immediate vicinity of the parent plant. If you want more, I
would let the pods mature. They will turn dark brown and split open. There
will be hundreds of tiny black seeds inside that look like poppy seeds. You
can sprinkle them around the area that you want more. Mine seem to need to
go through a winter and then germinate in the spring. Mine bloom the second
year. If you just want to tidy them up you can cut the flower stems off.
They can probably be transplanted, but they will tend to wilt. In SW Ohio,
they are plagued by the columbine leaf miner and get ratty after they bloom.

Old 17-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Mike S.

Those are seed pods on the plant. They will eventually open and you
can remove the seeds. If your planning on moving the plant I would
probably wait until after the seeds have been produced if that is what
your interested in.

Mike
Old 17-06-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
The Columbine is done blooming, long stems with pods on them. Are there

seeds
in these pods that can be sown elsewhere to grow? I wish to either cut

back the
plant or relocate it now. How far back can it be cut back? Can I relocate

it
now?

My experience is that if you dead head columbines after bloom so that they
don't set seed the plants survive for a number of years. Last year after
four years of dead heading I decided to let the plants set seed. Every one
of the original plants died during the winter, but I have hundreds of small
plants coming up in the area.

John