Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Go Fig

Default Lilies & Koi problem solved

In article ,
"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote:

Jim,
Your koi don't root around in the lily containers? Now I know you & Phyllis
have large koi also. Why do you think your koi don't bother the lilies?
I'm sure I remember yous having tropical lilies?

Using pieces of slate arranged around the lily can help quite a bit.

jay
Mon, Jun 16, 2003

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand." -
Confucius

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...
Congrats, Wendy!

I won't tell my koi that they can eat my lillies.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
Hi All,
At least, for the last 3 weeks, I have the problem solved. Seems like

no
matter what I try, those koi get the lilies! ... On a whim, I
pulled off the netting to one of the lilies, turned the milk crate

open
side
up and place it right on top of the lily. Carefully pulling the lily's
leaves through the 'bottom' of the milk crate, add a few rocks to

weigh
down
the milk crate and Wella! The koi can't get inside!!! The milk crate
comes about 1" below the surface of the water and once the lilies

actually
start to GROW for a change, you can't see the black milk crates at

all!

Wendy, thanks for sharing this! I was just getting ready to wrap all my
lily pots in bird netting to try to keep the koi from playing water lily
tuber keepaway! I'll look for black crates when I'm shopping this
weekend -- can't wait to try this.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs (10" to 34")

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."