Old 16-06-2003, 10:32 PM
GD ZK

Default Winter Kill report--Montreal

for those who care,

Low and behold, just like the Phoenix, belatedly, and from under-mulch
and ground level, my only winter "loss", Coral Dawn, has suddenly--and
only now!--reemerged.

Growth and survival in Nature are sure powerful!

GD ZK

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:26:14 GMT, (GD ZK) wrote:

As you may notice I really fuylly lost one rose. Coral Dawn. It was, I
believe grafted. Butother grafted ones survived.

Contributing factors were my planting with the bud0union at least
1.5"-2" below ground level (whch leads many a times to belated "own
root"...), high-mulching (the upwards of 5"-10" as conditions may
allow) and the fact that snow cummulation was over one foot.

But I do have quite a few own roots--it's true, mainly my favourite
species roses and rare Canadian experiments etc. The about to explode
(for the first time) Hazeldean keeps me on my toes, and the first
time full blossom Rosa Carolina and Rosa Primula are a delight. It's
so unusual and enticing to see a single, "primitive" five leafed rose.

Other Canadian experiments sucg as my Agnes, Will Alderman, Suzanne
Rose, Dr. F. L. Skinner, Carmenida, as well as Wassam??? (The exact
spelling escapes me now) are about to burst into multiple flopwer
blooming, as are the more main-stream Prarie Blush and Prairie Youth,
J.P. Connel and other standards: Hansa, Therese Bugnet, Jens Munks,
Blanc Double de Colbert, John Davis... Prairie Sunrise has already
shot its first flower--a beauty. I am having fun...

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:17:57 GMT, "B. Midler"
wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the results.

Was there any difference in survial rate based on grafted roses vs. own
roots?

My mother would tell you that the increased flower rate is because the bush
knows it's gonna die soon and must make babies.

"GD ZK" wrote in message
As some of you may know Montreal has experienced one of its hurshest
winters with temperatures dropping to -28 and -30 Celsius. On top, I
leave next to the lake front (Pointe-Claire strong with strong wind
chill factor.