Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default KH & GH

Thanks, Lee. How much will 1 lb. of backing soda raise the pH? I don't
want the pH to skyrocket with the fish in the pond. Not a good thing.
Don't forget I have 2400 gallons of water. Thanks.

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Raise your KH with plain ol' Baking Soda. Arm and Hammer kind, but doesn't
have to be the name brand. Get your KH above 150 and maintain it there. At
that range, you will be protected against pH crashes. Right now, you're
DANGEROUSLY close to one with a KH around 40 or so. If you have a bead
filter, get the KH 200. Use 1 lb. per day until you get it up. If you

have
rain, you will probably take steps backwards. Baking Soda is the cheapest,
fastest way to get your KH up and keep it up. After you get it where you
want it, you can probably maintain it with weekly doses. KH can be 500 or
so without doing any harm, so don't worry about overdosing. It will also
stabilize your pH around 8.2, keeping it rock solid. I don't worry about

my
GH too much, just the KH.

Lee

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
I need to raise the KH & GH in our pond. Our public water is on the

soft
side and we have been having constant rain. The GH is usually at 120ppm

and
KH at 80ppm. This morning the GH was reading 50ppm and KH of 40ppm.

This
afternoon the KH is around 80ppm and the GH is still at 50ppm. The

plants
are letting me know that they aren't happy but the fish seem OK, so,

far.
know I need lime for the KH and gypsum for the GH. And, I know there is

difference between dolomitic and dolomite limestone, but which one is

the
right one for the pond? I will be going to Home Depot, so, what do I

need
to get and how much. Our pond is around 2400 gallons. Thanks.
Kathy