Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default KH & GH

I need to raise the KH & GH in our pond. Our public water is on the soft
side and we have been having constant rain. The GH is usually at 120ppm and
KH at 80ppm. This morning the GH was reading 50ppm and KH of 40ppm. This
afternoon the KH is around 80ppm and the GH is still at 50ppm. The plants
are letting me know that they aren't happy but the fish seem OK, so, far. I
know I need lime for the KH and gypsum for the GH. And, I know there is a
difference between dolomitic and dolomite limestone, but which one is the
right one for the pond? I will be going to Home Depot, so, what do I need
to get and how much. Our pond is around 2400 gallons. Thanks.
Kathy

Old 16-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Raise your KH with plain ol' Baking Soda. Arm and Hammer kind, but doesn't
have to be the name brand. Get your KH above 150 and maintain it there. At
that range, you will be protected against pH crashes. Right now, you're
DANGEROUSLY close to one with a KH around 40 or so. If you have a bead
filter, get the KH 200. Use 1 lb. per day until you get it up. If you have
rain, you will probably take steps backwards. Baking Soda is the cheapest,
fastest way to get your KH up and keep it up. After you get it where you
want it, you can probably maintain it with weekly doses. KH can be 500 or
so without doing any harm, so don't worry about overdosing. It will also
stabilize your pH around 8.2, keeping it rock solid. I don't worry about my
GH too much, just the KH.

Lee

Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM

organic dolomitic lime which has both calcium and magnesium and makes a better
buffer. when you use this you can put it in the filter and it will dissolve on
demand. it is best to always check the stuff by putting it into 5 gallons of water
overnight with an airstone to make sure the pH doesnt spike. Ingrid

know I need lime for the KH and gypsum for the GH. And, I know there is a
difference between dolomitic and dolomite limestone, but which one is the
right one for the pond? I will be going to Home Depot, so, what do I need
to get and how much. Our pond is around 2400 gallons. Thanks.
Kathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Sorry, Ingrid but you lost me. Why am I putting it in a bucket with an
airstone? And, how much do I increase the KH in what time span? Thanks.

wrote in message
organic dolomitic lime which has both calcium and magnesium and makes a

better
buffer. when you use this you can put it in the filter and it will

dissolve on
demand. it is best to always check the stuff by putting it into 5 gallons

of water
overnight with an airstone to make sure the pH doesnt spike. Ingrid

know I need lime for the KH and gypsum for the GH. And, I know there

is a
difference between dolomitic and dolomite limestone, but which one is

the
right one for the pond? I will be going to Home Depot, so, what do I

need
to get and how much. Our pond is around 2400 gallons. Thanks.
Kathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Thanks, Lee. How much will 1 lb. of backing soda raise the pH? I don't
want the pH to skyrocket with the fish in the pond. Not a good thing.
Don't forget I have 2400 gallons of water. Thanks.

Old 17-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Ok, rough math: ~ 3/4 cup of baking soda will raise the KH by 1 drop (about
18 ppm) in 2400 gallons. You didn't mention what your current pH is, but
baking soda will not raise it above 8.4 (max). My pH still "fluctuates" a
bit: 8.2 AM/8.4 PM, 8.3 average - rock solid. If you want to take it slowly,
add 3/4 to 1 c of baking soda daily until you get your KH up to 9 or 10
drops (minimum). If you have a bead filter, get it up to 12 drops.

Lee

Old 18-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Heather

Pardon me for asking a dumb question but.... (Still new to some of these
things)

What is KH and what is GH? pH I know.

Old 18-06-2003, 10:56 PM
John Rutz

Heather wrote:
Pardon me for asking a dumb question but.... (Still new to some of these
things)

What is KH and what is GH? pH I know.

Thanks.

Kh calcite hardness GH general hardness

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

GH is a measure of the calcium and magnesium in the water. A high number is
good for bringing out the black in koi, but is said to cause shimmies
(unwanted black marks) in the red.

KH is a measure of the carbonates and bicarbonates in the water. These are
used by the bacteria that digest the ammonia and nitrites, and as such it
will go down. When the KH gets low, the pH will crash. You can get high GH
and reasonable KH with limestone, or oyster shells, but these are slow
dissolving. You can increase the GH with plaster of paris. To get a good
KH and get it quickly, use baking soda. If you have a high (over 100 ppm)
KH your pH will be solid and their is no reason to run it, except for
information.
--
RichToyBox

Old 19-06-2003, 04:56 AM
GD

"RichToyBox" wrote:

GH is a measure of the calcium and magnesium in the water. A high number is
good for bringing out the black in koi, but is said to cause shimmies
(unwanted black marks) in the red.

KH is a measure of the carbonates and bicarbonates in the water. These are
used by the bacteria that digest the ammonia and nitrites, and as such it
will go down. When the KH gets low, the pH will crash. You can get high GH
and reasonable KH with limestone, or oyster shells, but these are slow
dissolving. You can increase the GH with plaster of paris. To get a good
KH and get it quickly, use baking soda. If you have a high (over 100 ppm)
KH your pH will be solid and their is no reason to run it, except for
information.

Note: some submersed plants (frequently referred to as oxygenators in
this group) will use carbonates and bicarbonates as a carbon source
for photosynthesis. A large biomass of plants can reduce KH in short
order, as can algal blooms. If you keep submersed plants and fish
together, follow RichToyBox's recommendation that you monitor KH;
drastic changes in pH between afternoon and morning may indicate
reduced buffering capacity of your pond's water, something that may be
remedied by amendment with calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, etc.

Old 19-06-2003, 06:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:53:51 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

What is KH and what is GH? pH I know.

Kh calcite hardness GH general hardness

John Rutz

And good KH is important so your pH doesn't fluctuate wildly from AM to PM.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 19-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Further to that, the reason a large plant mass will reduce KH is because
photosynthesis reverses at night: the plants produce CO2 instead of O2. CO2
is acid, thereby reducing KH (and the reason why your pH is always lower in
the early AM than it is towards sunset).

I'm not trying to disagree with RTB about the level at which to keep your
KH, but if mine - for my area - was only 100, I'd be susceptible to a crash.
Rain here in Central FL can be quite acid: on Monday, I received 2 1/4
inches in 20 minutes, and it dropped my KH by 3 points (~ 60 ppm). I would
have been in deep kimchee if I didn't keep my KH higher. Besides, bead-type
filters *require* KH higher than 200 to work properly and feed the bacteria.

Lee

"GD" wrote in message
news

Old 20-06-2003, 12:32 AM
RichToyBox

Lee,

I like to keep mine higher than 100 also. I try to maintain a minimum of 10
degrees, about 170, but I start to worry when a pond has less than 100. 300
or 400 won't hurt a thing.
--
RichToyBox

[...]

"GD" wrote in message