Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Ali

Default Two Lawn Questions with Pictures!

Hi,

Grass: It's hard to tell just from looking at the pic. Unless the picture
is being kind, if my lawn was looking that good even when something was
wrong, I'd be happy. Anyway, If it's bugs, I think the best way is to get
right in there. Cut back the turf dig one of the patches to find out how
many you've got. If there's a lot of grubs and such...then good chance it's
your problem. I also remember watching an old victory garden where they did
a trick with an big old coffee can where they cut the bottom out, twisted it
into the ground, and filled it with water, and you watch what sort of bugs
come to the surface (though I wouldn't think grubs would come up on that
test. Beetles and such, yeah.).

You could also take soil samples to your local nursery and they should be
able to for free or for a small fee, test for problems, your PH balance,
etc. And mention the brown spots, of course. Could be you're overfeeding and
burned patches, or could be missing something.

Or it could be a combo of bugs *and* nutrient problems. At any rate, a local
expert can probably help you better than an online guesser.

Now as for the maple... I haven't a clue.

Ali

"Gerden Freedman" wrote in message
thlink.net...
see http://home.earthlink.net/~slalomx/index.html for photos of my two
problems?

#1 is a patch of brown grass in my lawn that has seemed to die, in the

last
two weeks it appears that I now have a bunch of these brown patches. What
could it be? Grubs? And if you know what the problem is, what is the

fix?

#2 is a photo of some sort of japanese maple. First, can you identify it?
Second, you'll notice that some branches did not sprout leaves this year.
Do I just consider them dead branches and cut them off? Or is this a sign
of a deeper problem.

Your help is always appreciated.