Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Gerden Freedman

Default Two Lawn Questions with Pictures!

see http://home.earthlink.net/~slalomx/index.html for photos of my two
problems?

#1 is a patch of brown grass in my lawn that has seemed to die, in the last
two weeks it appears that I now have a bunch of these brown patches. What
could it be? Grubs? And if you know what the problem is, what is the fix?

#2 is a photo of some sort of japanese maple. First, can you identify it?
Second, you'll notice that some branches did not sprout leaves this year.
Do I just consider them dead branches and cut them off? Or is this a sign
of a deeper problem.

Your help is always appreciated.

Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Ali

Hi,

Grass: It's hard to tell just from looking at the pic. Unless the picture
is being kind, if my lawn was looking that good even when something was
wrong, I'd be happy. Anyway, If it's bugs, I think the best way is to get
right in there. Cut back the turf dig one of the patches to find out how
many you've got. If there's a lot of grubs and such...then good chance it's
your problem. I also remember watching an old victory garden where they did
a trick with an big old coffee can where they cut the bottom out, twisted it
into the ground, and filled it with water, and you watch what sort of bugs
come to the surface (though I wouldn't think grubs would come up on that
test. Beetles and such, yeah.).

You could also take soil samples to your local nursery and they should be
able to for free or for a small fee, test for problems, your PH balance,
etc. And mention the brown spots, of course. Could be you're overfeeding and
burned patches, or could be missing something.

Or it could be a combo of bugs *and* nutrient problems. At any rate, a local
expert can probably help you better than an online guesser.

Now as for the maple... I haven't a clue.

Ali

thlink.net...

#1 is a patch of brown grass in my lawn that has seemed to die, in the

last

Old 17-06-2003, 02:44 AM
dickhealy

#1 is a patch of brown grass in my lawn that has seemed to die, in the

last

#2 is a photo of some sort of japanese maple. First, can you identify it?
Second, you'll notice that some branches did not sprout leaves this year.
Do I just consider them dead branches and cut them off? Or is this a sign
of a deeper problem.

Your help is always appreciated.

Brown grass suggests your problem could be urine from a animal...do you

own a dog? If so, spread "Tide", (thats right, the laundry detergent) with
your spreader. Its a very basic substance that will neutralize the acid in
the urine, if thats your problem. If you live in the North, Northeast or
Northwest, now is the time to attack your grub problem...with a follow up in
September...there are commercial products available at your local home
center. The rule of thumb for grubs is twelve or more in a one foot cubic
area for a problem. Are, or have, your neighbor's lawns shown similar
deterioration recently?

Your Japanese maple could, in fact, be a Norway maple and your problem with
it could be underground. Try digging some of the sod away from the trunk,
at its base. If you notice, root like tentacles wrapping around other roots
you may have a "gagging condition" that will require your intervention. Cut
the tentacles and hope. It may be a year or two before you learn whether
you can save your tree or not...If, in two years (three years tops) you see
no improvement in the tree's condition you will have to replace it as it is
dying and the cause is this "gagging condition".. in your tree's root
structure..

Old 17-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Gerden Freedman

Your Japanese maple could, in fact, be a Norway maple and your problem

with
it could be underground.

Norway Maple? No! This is a small ornamental tree in the landscaping. Do I
cut away the dead branches or what?

Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

With a sharp hoe, make a cut and tear the sod back in the area in question.
Look for grubs. If you have more than 2 in that area, it's grubs and I
recommend Milky Spore.

It appears to be St. Augustine turf, if so, it can also be a pathogen which
causes brown patch or take all patch. Do a search and see if it looks or sounds
familiar.

On the Japanese maple, where do you live?

Victoria

Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pam

Gerden Freedman wrote:

Your Japanese maple could, in fact, be a Norway maple and your problem

with
it could be underground.

Norway Maple? No! This is a small ornamental tree in the landscaping. Do I
cut away the dead branches or what?

Japanese maples can often experience branch dieback from a variety of reasons,
including winter stress, although this looks pretty severe for a simple hard
winter. Yes, removal of dead wood is always recommended as it can harbor fungal
spores and other disease pathogens, as well as provide a home for opportunistic
insect pests. The dead wood may be symptomatic of other, more serious problems,
but it is difficult to determine what these might be from just your photo. Be
sure to sterilize your pruners after each cut to reduce the transference of any
problems to viable wood. Keep the tree as healthy as possible (proper drainage
and growing conditions, adequate water and nutrients) and avoid unnecessary
cultivation/tilling in the root zone. If the problem persists or worsens during
the growing season, take a representative sample into your local extension
office for accurate diagnosis and control recommendations.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-06-2003, 10:56 PM
animaux

I'll assume you don't have St. Augustine in that climate. Roll back the turf
and see how many grubs you find.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:29:54 GMT, "Gerden Freedman" wrote:

northern ohio

.. .